Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and I’m feeling a little mushy...
Ick, I know! What has gotten into me?
It’s not a prick by Cupid’s arrow or a sugar high from too much chocolate that has got me so love struck. It’s that I’ve been thinking about it lately and I’m completely enamored with my city.
Just like a school girl scribbling all of the reasons why she adores her crush across her notebook, I've decided to highlight every facet of the city – from the people and the places, to the food and the structures – that I think make Milwaukee a spectacular place to live and to visit.
So, in no particular order, here are the many reasons why I love Milwaukee.
- Milwaukee's urban renaissance
- Being dubbed "the city of festivals"
- Milwaukee's free summer music series – Jazz in the Park, River Rhythms, Chill on the Hill, Florentine at the Lake/Musica del Lago
- Friday night fish fries
- Bradford Beach renovations
- The lakefront
- McKinley Marina's boat docks
- US Bank's Big Bang fireworks
- Reiman Aquarium at Discovery World
- Milwaukee Art Museum's Burke Brise Soleil
- The Boerner Botanical Gardens during springtime
- Alterra at the Lake
- Lake Park
- The return of the Great Circus Parade
- Gallery Night
- Saturday mornings at East Town Market
- The River Revitalization Foundation
- The RiverWalk at night
- 88NINE Radio Milwaukee
- Our solid creative community
- Lakefront Brewery tour
- Jamo's shag carpeting
- Free snacks paired with a cold Guinness at Paddy's Pub
- At Random's Tiki Love Bowl
- Polka dancing at Kochanski's Concertina Beer Hall (formerly Art's Concertina)
- Prevalent outdoor dining/drinking options
- A George Webb breakfast skillet
- The Sobelman Burger
- Brunch at Comet Café
- Tailgating at Brewers games
- The Brewers' pennant race
- The famous Klement's Racing Sausages (Go #3!)
- Roscoe the, um, what is he exactly?
- The new and improved Marquette Interchange
- City Hall's face-lift
- The Iron Horse Hotel
- The historic Captain Frederick Pabst Mansion
- Cream City bricks
- Edmund B. Gustorf Boat House
- The view from Brewers Hill
- Wisconsin Gas Building's Weather Flame
- The Pfister Hotel lobby
- The beauty of Calvary Presbyterian Church, The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, Gesu Church
- The Oriental Theater
- Milwaukee Film
- The Pabst Theater
- Urban Ecology Center
- Our diverse neighborhoods – Bay View to the Third Ward, and Brady Street to Riverwest
- Kopp's Frozen Custard
- The Oak Leaf Trail
It was extremely difficult to whittle down my favorites to a measly 50 things, so much so that I think I’ll do this again next Valentine’s Day.
So, why do you love Milwaukee, or your own city? Share your reasons in the comments section.
Photo comes from gettyimages.com.